Aug 16, 2007

Street Tales

In another curious incident today, a little kid with bunny teeth walked up to me as I stood waiting by the roadside for my transport and mumbled something pointing to the other side of the busy road. After asking him twice, I gathered that he needed assistance to cross the road. I agreed and started towards the other side. Without a word, he grabbed my hand and we scurried across, a worried look on his face. I felt his small hand tightening every time some vehicle honked in protest at us. He did mumble some gratitude at the other end as I dropped him and made my way back to the other side.

Last year in Delhi, something similar happened outside the office. That time I helped a blind man cross the street. Then, a couple of cars actually stopped when they saw me, my colleague and the man crossing the road. I could not help but compare that no one even thought of that, here in Mumbai. So much for prejudices.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cudnt get ya....the last sentence went above my head .....

On the other thing abt that child that u wrote ... the way he clutched u ..while u both were crossing the road ......Well , i also cross the road the way the child does squeezing the hand of the person helping me out ... unsteady ..unsure whether the next step should be taken ... if I would be able to cross the road before the car approaches ... Quite a loser I am hehhehe !

Black Tulip said...

a nice surprise, this. write more often ya :)

dobereinerr said...

People here are just impatient.
This Monday my car was in the centre lane when it broke down at a signal. I was trying to push it to the side so no one would be hassled. But the jerks on the left just kept zooming by. Not once did they stop, leave alone help out!

N ya, good one. I mean, two!

Kunal said...

blue ink..that was just about a few biases I carry about Mumbai and Delhi...

Tulip...ohhhhkkkaaayy!!

Dob...I think its the hurry, everyone is always in a rush to get someplace...without waiting to smile, or pause...

Disclaimer

Every photograph on this blog (except the title background) has been taken by me. . . To view more, click on any of them to go to my Flickr page (link on sidebar too). Feel free to use them the way you like, no issues, though I wouldn't like it if someone passes them off as original work. Ta!